Wednesday 16 December 2015

IVF Fresh #1 Day 15

It's ER day for me today! I fasted since last night and slept early. DH and I woke up really early this morning (probably even earlier than our usual work days), got ready and head down to KKH. In the early hours, KKIVF is almost empty. Shortly after registration, a nurse brought me to the changing room. I put on the surgery gown and kept my clothes and belonging inside the locker. I had to change into their slippers too. Then, the nurse inserted the IV cannula into the vein of my left hand. The diameter of the needle looks big! It wasn't really pain, but I was still scared to move my hand too much. While I was getting ready for the surgery, DH was in another room busy providing his troops.

I was scheduled as the second patient for the day. However, the first patient was somehow not ready and I get to go for the surgery first. The nurse led me into the surgery room. It's my first time in such a place; my first time being put on general anesthesia. It was really cold in the surgery room. I was shivering as I was walking in. Thankfully, the nurse quickly gave me a blanket without having to ask for one. Once I lie down on the operating table, I was hooked up to the blood pressure and heart beat monitoring equipment. I also had an oxygen mask over my nose and mouth. Dr Sadhana had not arrive yet, so the team of nurses and I waited for awhile. The anesthesiologist arrived and introduced himself. Once Dr Sadhana walked into the room, every one got into action immediately. My hand was in pain when the anesthesia was pumped through the cannula. I managed to tell the nurse about it and she assured me that it'll be fine. Then, I was totally knocked out.

The next thing I know, I was wheeled out into the resting area. In my semi-consciousness, I heard someone tell me to shift myself over to the bed. I have no idea how I did it. I fell asleep again. Every time a patient gets wheeled in, I sort of got awaken for a brief moment. I have no idea how long I was there for. Finally, a nurse came along and gave me a pack of biscuits and hot milo. Although I wasn't feel very hungry, I ate them all up! At the same time, I was watching what's happening at the opposite bed. The poor girl was very much in pain and the nurse had to bring some painkillers for her to take orally. Soon, a doctor came in and made her rounds. After she checked on me, I was allowed to get out of bed.

The nurse accompanied me to the changing room, told me to pee and change back to my own clothes. In my mind I was thinking "I only drank a small cup of milo, how to pee?" But I still managed to! It was only later then I realise that it was the drip that was keeping my hydrated while I was unconscious on the bed. Another nurse removed the cannula and gave me the medical certificate for HL. She told me that I have 24 eggs retrieved and explained that I have more follicles because I have quite a high AMH. (I think she mentioned my AMH is 7, not sure if I heard correctly, not sure what the unit is.) She instructed me to drink more water and reminded me that all my embryos will be frozen.

DH was already waiting for me in KKIVF when I came out around 11.30 am. We went home, ate lunch (DH bought food back) and I slept till it was time for dinner. I couldn't really walk straight because of the bloated. The ladies in the forum suggest drinking isotonic drinks, so I bought two 500 ml bottles.

No comments:

Post a Comment